Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Salmon Pie with Egg Sauce

Last night, I got a text from our daughter, Kailyn.  It was a tempting text.  Why?  Because it was a picture of one of my favorite meals—salmon pie.  And she wasn’t anywhere near home to share it!  So, how is this a blessing?
First, I am so grateful that we have the technology available so that my daughter can share her life as an independent young woman with us.  It was a blessing to know that she is carrying on a family tradition of making salmon pie—with egg sauce, no less!  (I didn’t even think that she LIKED egg sauce!)  I am continually amazed at the small ways that I can be surprised....realizing that I don't always know what I think I know (another blessing).  It was also wonderful to be reminded that it’s high time that I make a salmon pie to enjoy with my husband, Mark, even if I will be the only one of the two of us enjoying the egg sauce...then again, this too can be a blessing, more for me!  Oh, my, that's rather selfish! But I don't think he will mind. 

Please allow me to bless you all with our salmon pie recipe (along with the egg sauce, of course):

Salmon Pie (this recipe is from my mom, Theresa, with a little tweaking of my own)
15 oz. can of salmon, flaked and cleaned of skin and bones
3 potatoes, cooked and mashed
Medium onion, diced and sauteed
Seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley)--we don't measure...sorry!
Pie crust for a two crust pie (My mom always used and swore by “Jiffy”...so we do, too.)

Mix all ingredients (except crust) together, then place in prepared crust.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until crust is golden.
Egg Sauce (this recipe is straight from Cooks.com…sadly I don’t have my mom’s recipe)*

Melt two tablespoons of butter and add 2 Tbsp. flour in a saucepan over low heat.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Slowly add one cup of milk, stirring constantly with whisk and allow to thicken.  Add two diced hard-boiled eggs and heat through.  Pour over salmon pie when serving.
*Perhaps my daughter could chime in and share how she made her egg sauce?  ;)

...may you be blessed...

3 comments:

  1. I had salmon with egg sauce in Maine a few years back. I didn't expect to like it. It's so nice to see our children keeping traditions alive.

    I am so glad you are blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline! Do you have a blog in addition to NBF? I want to say here that I have enjoyed the posts you've put on FB from Hannah's blog. I tried to comment on one, but for reasons I can't recall now, the reply didn't post. So, please pass along that I appreciate her blog, too! And I'm glad you have some past experience with this "dish." We love it...but I lack confidence when it comes to making pie crust, so we don't have it too often. I'm glad I didn't pass that fear of pie-crust-making along to Kailyn! ;)

      Delete
    2. So, I did a little searching (didn't have to go far!) and see that you do have 'a' blog! :) I'll be checking them out! God bless your day!

      Delete